Thursday, March 5, 2015

Working on Embellishments

I figured I share with you some embellishment making for my next mixed media canvas I'm going to be working on.

I have some laser cut wood pieces from Michael's, a chandelier and a chair.  I also have a Tattered Angels frame that I want to turn into a mirror.

I start off by gessoing everything with a white gesso.  Then I paint on some Liquitex titan white paint to brighten it up.  After that I paint on some Liquitex black acrylic paint to the chandelier where the metal look will and the piece for the mirror.  Because I want to give them an aged metal look the base needs to be dark.  I paint on a coat of Golden titan buff fluid acrylic on the chair to give it a softer look. Once the black base coat for the metal is dry I dry brush on some Blick acrylic silver and copper paints. I put those aside to dry.

While the chandelier and the mirror are drying I decide to work more on the chair. I cut out a piece of pattern paper for the cushion, making sure there are tabs so that I can make it pop out.  At Michael's I found this pink ruffle ribbon that I want to use for the ruffle on the chair.  To age the ribbon I use some Tim Holtz walnut distress stain and lots of water.  This dulls down the pink so it's not so vibrant and new looking.  I also brushed a little of the stain on the chair to give it a little bit of a worn look.

Going back to the chandelier I wanted to make it look like the strands of beads are pearls and the hanging parts are pink crystals so I grabbed my Pebeo 3D pink crystal paint and some white liquid pearls.  Carefully I apply a dot of liquid pearls to each of the round sections of the strands and the 3d paint to where the crystals would be.

Everything dried over night and I assembled the chair eventually adding some liquid pearl trim where the paper and the fabric meet to give it a more finished look.  I'm not quite sure if I'm happy with the metal chandelier or mirror frame.  We'll just have to wait and see what I decided when I put the canvas together.


No comments:

Post a Comment