Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day 17 - Think spring

Today we woke up to the five a.m. phone calls from the schools saying that there was a two hour delay. At least they had school. Though a two hour delay throws off the whole darn day. Nothing like getting the last kid off and have the oldest show up only hours later. It leaves little time for anything during the day. All that for like two to three inches of snow. My gosh you'd think we had a blizzard. Was it not just last year we were buried in the white stuff. The snow piles in the drive where taller than me.

Anyway I think the snow finally killed the leeks. I didn't make it out to the garden today to look but I also didn't see any standing up. The celery is covered so for all I know it is still alive. I'm going to try my hardest to get it to the next growing season. My flowers in my flower bed look sad now with the snow on them. They were still nice and green. Heck I had a flower out there about two weeks ago. Now they look cold and sad. All this had me thinking spring and how I can't wait for it to come. I'm excited about getting the garden ready and staring it. I went out to check the compost barrel the other day and would you believe a family of mice built a nest in it. They dug a tunnel from the outside all the way up to the top of the compost. I just added some things to their house, I hope they like it. Mostly paper but I'll have a some house scraps soon for them too. I plan on ordering my seeds soon and getting my veggie CSA for the new season soon too. I'm going to try starting my own seeds this year. This will be a feat for me to do as most plants in the house usually die fast. I blame the hot air heat on that but it could be the cats eating them/digging at them, or just my sheer lack of remembering to water them, either way it's not going to be easy to do but I'm going to try my hardest.

Thinking about spring today I came up with a drawing of a flower for today's creative bit. Drew it in pencil, inked it with archival ink, and colored it with Prismacolor colored pencils. I hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment